One of the most challenging aspects of getting older is the decrease in independence and self-sufficiency that comes with it. For many seniors, it may seem that the only choice to make is between the relative freedom they enjoyed when they were younger, and being remanded to some sterile institution, and having their independence stripped away.
However, you and your family must understand that there are other options — options that can allow you to maintain your autonomy. One of the most popular and successful programs along these lines at HomeCentris Frederick is our home health program. If you are finding that you need help at home, it may be time to ask yourself, “Do I need a home companion?”
How Can a Home Companion Help Me?
If you are a senior who lives on their own, the home companion component of a strong home healthcare program may be right for you. Home companionship can be particularly useful for seniors who are most attached to their independence. We often recommend home companionship for seniors who:
- Need help around the house, especially those who live in houses larger than they can manage
- Are often alone and would benefit emotionally from companionship
- Find it physically challenging to bathe or maintain their previous standards of hygiene
- Are no longer able to cook for themselves, or forget to eat
- Have recently suffered a loss and would benefit from emotional support.
As we grow older, we all need help. It’s one of life’s unfortunate certainties. But a home companion can help you maintain your independence by giving you the time, energy, and emotional support that you may be lacking now. And a program like the one at HealthCentris is just a phone call away.
Advantages of Home Companionship
There are many advantages to having a home companion. If you find that any of the following would improve your independence and quality of life, it is a good idea to contact a home healthcare provider like HomeCentris Frederick. A home companion can help you by:
- Remembering what medications to take and when
- Making sure your errands are run
- Helping around the house with light housekeeping
- Making sure meals are prepared
- Assisting with bathing, hygiene, and personal grooming
- Providing emotional support in times of grief or loss
- Providing general companionship and a friendly ear.
It is essential, of course, that your home companion is fully licensed and vetted. This is why it is always best to work with a home healthcare provider like HomeCentris Frederick.
We’re Here to Help
It’s often difficult to admit when we need help. This is particularly true as we grow older and naturally more dependent upon others to help us. So the next time you ask yourself, “Do I need a home companion?” be honest with yourself. You do not need to be alone any longer. A home companion like the ones provided by the HomeCentris Frederick home healthcare program can help. And they will allow you to maintain your pride and independence while doing so. Reach out to us today at 855.886.8710. You’ll be glad you did.