As we all grow older, our sense of identity and wellbeing can be strongly tied to the place we inhabit. It is, therefore, no surprise that most seniors prefer to age at home, surrounded by the people and things that are familiar to them and that they love. Unfortunately, too many seniors — and their loved ones — think that admitting any decline in their faculties or abilities might result in their being “sent away” to a residential care facility. The reality is that the vast majority of seniors do not need this extreme level of care until much later. However, as we age, many of us would benefit from a quality in-home care service. This common misunderstanding about the required level of care is why at HomeCentris Frederick we have made it our mission to provide this valuable resource to seniors who do need extra help.
And no matter how independent the senior in your life may have been, as they age it is likely that they will need help managing all of those little things in life that, at the end of the day, add up. Perhaps they need help managing their home or running errands. Maybe they need help organizing and keeping up with their medications, doctor’s visits, and bills. Maybe they need help with nutrition, personal health, or hygiene. And in addition, perhaps they need more companionship than their family and friends can provide. If any or all of these are true, in-home care service might be the right choice for the senior in your love.
How to Choose In-Home Care Service
Because there are many options to choose from, it is important that when you are looking for a quality in-home care service you establish some criteria by which to judge them. When selecting a home care provider, it can be useful to remember that you are looking for the right fit for you and for the person you care about. In this sense, it is important to take stock of your family’s situation before you begin your search, and let that guide your selection. That said, some of the things will help you choose a quality in-home care service are as follows:
- Know your needs: Is the senior in your life having trouble with personal hygiene and grooming? With managing medications? With scheduling doctor’s visits and running errands? Sitting down and assessing these needs will not only make it clear what kind of service will suit you and your family best. It will also help ease the transition into in-home care service.
- Reach out to family, friends, and people in the community: Have people at your job, school, or church used an in-home care service before? A good recommendation can go a long way. Ask them what they thought or think of the service they used, and ask them why.
- Make sure you know your budget: There is nothing worse than finding the agency of your dreams and then discovering that you have not been able to budget for it properly. Before you even begin contacting in-home care services, be realistic with yourself about how much you will be able to spend.
- Reach out to in-home care agencies directly: After you have assessed things on your end and consulted with friends and family, begin the process of reaching out to agencies that you feel may be suitable. It may take time and some work, but all agencies should be willing to set up home visits and to answer your questions and address your concerns.
- Make sure you find the right fit: Remember, finding the right in-home care service for your loved one is not about hiring the biggest name or the most expensive agency. It is all about finding the right fit. The senior in your life will be spending a lot of time with the person you hire. It is worth taking the time to make sure that she or he is the right person for you and your family.
Contact HomeCentris Frederick Today
HomecCentris Frederick is in the business of providing in-home care. But we are also here to answer your more general questions and to help you get the process started. We know that finding a quality in-home care service can be a burden. But we also know how important it is to get it right, and how fulfilling it is when you do find the right match. Reach out to HomeCentris at 855.886.8710 and get started today.