You’ve seen the signs for a few months. Your father forgets to take his medicine regularly. Your mother has forgotten to pay the electric bill for the third month in a row. It can be hard to acknowledge the fact that your parents are getting older. However, it can be even harder to talk to them about getting help. If you’re struggling to find the words and wondering how to speak with your parents about in-home care, we can help. For in-home care services in Maryland, call HomeCentris Healthcare Frederick today.
How to Speak With Your Parents About In-Home Care
- List the benefits: Your loved one is the one who needs the help, so getting help should be beneficial to them. There are a variety of advantages of in-home care. The cost is lower than it would be at a nursing home or an assisted living facility, they get one on one attention, and they can stay at home.
- Allow them to be independent: Your parents may feel like hiring in-home care means that you don’t trust them. Explain that utilizing this service allows them to maintain their independence by letting them stay at home.
- Make yourself the excuse: Explaining to your parents how much you worry about them can help you when you’re wondering how to speak with your parents about in-home care. Tell them that you worry about them alone in the house. They may be willing to hear the ideas you’re offering them.
- Offer to test out in-home care services on a trial basis: Many times, parents are reluctant to use in-home care because they’re afraid of change. By testing out in-home care services on a trial basis can show them that the services are safe. As a result, they may be more open to trying in-home care services long-term.
- Look at the situation another way: Maybe your parents don’t want help, but they’d like someone to come in and do the cooking or cleaning. Perhaps they don’t like driving at night, but still want to attend their Wednesday night church group. If you show them that getting in-home care will allow them to continue these activities, they may be more open to the services.
- Go to a professional: Talk to your parent’s primary care doctor. They may be able to talk to your parents or give you some tips.
Get Help at HomeCentris Healthcare Frederick Today
If you’re struggling with how to speak to your parents about in-home care, we can help. We offer a variety of tools to help you and your parents find the right care options. Moreover, we dedicate ourselves to making sure that both you and your parents are happy with their choices. To that end, we offer a variety of in-home services, including:
To learn more about our services, or if you need tips on how to speak to your parents about in-home care, call 855.886.8710 today to talk to one of our experts.