Seeing your parents grow older and grow more unstable can be extremely challenging. Many people don’t want to recognize the signs that it is time to begin preparing for long term senior care. However, putting this off can be dangerous for your loved one. If you have noticed the signs that your parent may need more help than you can give, don’t hesitate. Call HomeCentris Frederick today.
Signs That It’s Time to Begin Preparing for Long Term Senior Care
The indications that your parent needs more care than you can give can be easy to miss. However, you’re noticing that they’re confused more often. Their clothes are dirty, or their hair is unbrushed. Maybe their pills are going missing, or they aren’t paying their bills. At this point, it’s probably time to begin preparing for long term senior care.
Other signs that they need more care are:
- Overlooking safety concerns
- Missing doctor’s appointments
- Mismanaging money
- Sleeping more often
- Falling easily
- Needing daily or weekly medical treatments
- Needing medical equipment
- Having trouble with daily tasks, such as dressing, bathing, cleaning, or running the household
Steps for Preparing for Long Term Senior Care
1) Educate yourself on what is out there: Today, there are a variety of long term senior care options. From assisted living homes to independent living services, there are several options you can choose from for your parent. Waiting until the last minute to find these options can be problematic, so begin your research before your parent needs these care options.
2) Make a plan with your loved ones: Your parent or loved one is going to be living in whatever facility you choose. Work with them to figure out what they want in terms of health care, and help them make a plan for any surprise medical procedures. This plan gives your care providers knowledge if your loved one cannot communicate, and the doctors can’t contact you.
3) Learn what is around you. Once you know what options are right for your family, take a look at what services are available around you. The state of Maryland’s department of aging offers several resources to help you with this. Additionally, look into what senior care facilities are near you, such as HomeCentris Frederick. Conduct your research, but don’t take the Internet’s word for how good a facility is. Setting up a meeting or tour at the facility can help you figure out if that facility is best for your parent or loved one.
4) Begin financial planning: Many people don’t want to begin preparing for long term senior care because they’re afraid of the sticker shock. However, when you start planning for the cost and looking into financing options early, you can mitigate that nasty shock.
Get Help Today
If you’re ready to begin preparing for long term senior care, call HomeCentris Frederick today. We offer a variety of senior care services, including:
- Private home care
- In-home support services
- Transitional services
- Medication and transportation services
- Assisted living services
To learn more, call 855.886.8710 today.